For outstanding students from countries outside the United Kingdom, Gates Cambridge offers 80 full-cost scholarships each year to study a full-time postgraduate degree in any subjects offered at the University of Cambridge. Read this article to find out how to apply effectively.
What is the Gates Cambridge Scholarship Program?
To launch the Gates Cambridge Scholarship Programme, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation donated US$210 million in October 2000, making it the largest single grant ever made to a UK university.
The selection criteria are:
- Exceptional intellectual capacity was a deciding factor.
- Reasons for the choice of course.
- A zeal to improve the lives of others.
- The ability to lead.
Gates Eligibility for a Cambridge Scholarship (see below).
Below is a list of requirements for receiving a Gates Scholarship.
- Any citizen of a country other than the United Kingdom is eligible to apply.
- A full-time residential course at the University of Cambridge must be chosen by the applicant.
- PhD \MSc/MLitt
- The postgraduate course of one year
Benefits of this Scholarship
Financing and bills throughout applicant Study time at Cambridge is completely free with a Cambridge Scholarship. There is also the option of receiving discretionary funds.
- Composition at University Invoice at the correct rate.
- A maintenance payment of up to four years (£17,848 for 12 months starting from 2021-22; pro-rata for courses less than 12 months is available to PhD scholars)
- one economy round-trip flight to and from the course’s commencement and end.
- immigrant health surcharges and visa fees
According to the Graduate Studies prospectus, University Composition Fees vary for different sorts of students. They must accept any fee award they have been given by the government.
Components that are not mandatory
There are various sorts of supplementary funding that the Trust will consider at its discretion:
- Depending on the length of your course, academic development money might range from £500 to £2,000 for conferences and courses.
- Up to £10,120 for one kid and up to £14,440 for two or more children in a family allowance (2021-22 rate). For a partner, there is no financial support.
- If you are doing fieldwork as part of your PhD, you may be able to keep your standard maintenance allowance while on the field (Aside from fieldwork expenses, which should be covered by the University Composition Fee, no other costs are covered by the Trust).
- Parental leave: If necessary, it is possible to seek to take up to six months off from your studies while still receiving a maintenance allowance.
- Financial assistance in times of need
Timeline for the Gates Cambridge Scholarships.
When the University’s postgraduate financing competition opens for applications, the vast majority of applicants will apply. According to the course you’re applying for, there are two possible deadlines for submitting your application.
Applications open Thursday 02 September 2021
Application closing date It varies owing to course, it is either 02 December 2021 or 06 January 2022 (Check through the Course Directory)
Departmental ranking December – February
Results of applications are communicated to all candidates. February 2022
On-line review and selection by panels February and March 2022
Scholarships offered Late March
Scholarships accepted 72 hours after the offer
The deadline to submit a scholarship application is January 6, 2022, which is six months away.