As a Nigerian, you must obtain a visa before you can travel to the United States of America. To get one, you must make your application at the US Department of State Consular Electronic Application Center. They have centers in Lagos State and Abuja currently.
As a Nigerian passport holder, you can apply for your US visa a maximum of three months before your date of travel. There are different types of visas you can secure to get to America, but we want to see two prominent types that are easy for Nigerians.
Types Of US Visa In Nigeria
There are different types of USA Visas one can apply for from Nigeria. Nevertheless, here are the easiest types of American Visa you can easily get:
- Business/Tourist Visa: As far as you can prove you will be coming back to Nigeria after some time
- Work Visa: It is easily obtained as far as you secured employment from a reputable organization in America.
- Student Visa: You will easily get this visa once you have been admitted by an institution in the USA
Many times, a lot of Nigerians experience disappointment as they try to get a visa to the United States of America. Nevertheless, you discover that a large chunk of the people can be blamed for this, as they don’t have the appropriate information and knowledge that can make things easier.
Easiest Ways To Get An American Visa From Nigeria
First, we have to understand that the two most popular visitor visas ( non-immigrant Visas) for USA are the Tourism (B-2) and Business (B-1) visas. If you obtain a Visitor Visa (B-2), you can stay in America for up to six months at a time. Its validity can span towards two years.
Hence, it is important to recognize the type of Visa you want to get before anything else. This of course will be decided by the purpose you had in mind for wanting to travel to the United States. Note that irrespective of the type of visa you desire to get, your passport had to be valid for at least six months beyond the date of return.
To help you get your American Visa with ease, here are simple steps you should take as far as making your application is concerned:
– Take photographs that meet the US visa photo requirements. It is very important that you have this done before you start the application process as a whole.
– You are to access and fill the DS-160 form online, then submit it via the US Department of State website.
– You are to pay the processing fee to be attended to. Please note that this fee is non-refundable, and you can either decide to pay it online or through the counter at a bank. It’s usually swiftly done online.
– After completing payments, you can then schedule an appointment for an interview. This can be done online or via the call centre. Here are the necessary documents required when making an appointment:
- Passport number
- Fee payment receipt purchase date
C The 10-digit barcode number from the applicant’s DS-160 confirmation page
Ensure you put together these necessary documents as well as any other supporting ones that will likely make your application successful.
After putting all these in their proper places, all you had to do is to go for your visa application appointment. This will either be at the US Embassy in Abuja or US Consulate General in Lagos State (you get to choose what you desire). Also note that you are to bring these documents to the interview:
- Current and previous passports belonging to you
B Appointment confirmation letter
- A colour photograph that meets the photo requirements
- The barcoded DS-160 confirmation page
- Receipt of the visa application fee
If all things are equal, your visa should be approved, and you will receive it (as well as your passport) at the pick-up location that was specified by you at the time you scheduled your appointment. It can also be couriered to any address you have chosen.
As for the cost of the US Visa, you will have to spend about ₦57,680 (around US$140), which can be made in cash at a GTBank branch close to you or even online. Always stay updated with any new development from the authorities. But it is important to note that if you want to pay at a GTbank branch, you have to present your passport there. Additionally, it is necessary that you get a receipt when making the payment. Every applicant had to present their proof of payment (receipt) when they attend their interview.
General US Visa Requirements
As stated before, many people failed to get approved because they don’t have sufficient knowledge as regarding the things expected from them as they make applications for their US Visa. To make things easier for you, ensure you have the following for your USA visa application:
– An original Nigerian passport that has two blank pages for visa and entry stamps. You should be sure that the passport is valid for at least six months beyond one’s return date.
– Go with your previous passports too, so the officials will get to know of your travel history
– A barcoded DS-160 form confirmation page
– Your appointment confirmation page
– Two colour photos. Ensure these meet the US visa photo requirements (it is thus necessary to know the requirements before leaving).
– Your application fee payment receipt
– Your proof of funds, including your bank statements, payslips, proof of assets and investments, and so on. These will prove that you can conveniently take care of yourself in America and you will come back to Nigeria.
– Add other supporting documents (like invitation letters, provisional flight bookings and travel itinerary, and so on)
How long does it take to get a US Visa in Nigeria?
Actually, you should have it in mind that due to several factors, the wait time for appointments can be up to two months. Nevertheless, the processing time for the USA visa application is between five to fifteen days. It must however be noted and added that these things are not static, and the times can actually vary depending on factors such as the volume of received applications, the type of application submitted, etc.
- 10 Best Countries for Nigerians to Hustle
- All Nigeria Visa Free Countries in Europe
- South Africa Visa Fees In Nigeria
In conclusion, you can submit your USA visa application online through the US Department of State website. This is easy to do. You should however know that you have to attend the visa interview in person at the embassy or consulate-general.